Thursday 3 December 2015

Kota Chronicles: Failure is the stepping stone to success

Well we have heard this so many times: take lessons from your failures and make them a stepping stone to success. And this happens in the lives of most people who have achieved something worthwhile in their lives. This is what happened to me as well while in Kota. Not remaining with crowd had many advantages and disadvantages in my life. At one time what seems as a disadvantage turns into advantage at other point in life. So, the 10th boards were over, me and bhaiya were going to Kota. I had already filled up the form of Bansal classes. I had not filled up the form of any other coaching institute. I heard that my other classmates were already there in Kota finding materials to prepare for the entrance exams of the coaching institutes. I was not really inclined to join them. I always remained sort of independent bird. The exams came and I thought I had done fine but Bansals thought otherwise. I was not selected but all my other friends were, I think 7 of them. It was a set back. But, something incredible happened after that setback. After that failure I would enter into a regimen that would cruise me through to IIT-JEE. I took stock of myself and started preparing for te second phase of entrance with full decisiveness.

I did a few things that mark the method for success in any field in this world.
1. I found a mentor: I would call it a divine arrangement that I met Shivam in the same flat that I was living in, Few things had influenced me as much before than he did. He was ranked 3 in the Bansal entrance test and a formidable candidate for top 100 rank at IIT-JEE two years later. His way of thinking for solutions to problems astonished and educated me. Problems that I would fret with for 2 hours, he would solve in just two minutes. My brain grew trying to grapple with Shivam's intellectual level. He was intelligent, helpful and humble. The very combination that I wanted to be myself.

2. I found the right materials: It was also incidental. I already had a NTSE book of TMH. But when I went to the book shop I found a NTSE book of MacMillan. I flipped through it and found some questions similar to those of Bansal entrance exam. Although I am always very cautious at spending money, I ventured and purchased that book. And well, it was the exact material that I need for the entrance tests. For the next one month I poured over the book and solved every part of it cold.

3. I worked hard: If that failure had not happened to me, I would have never taken the decision to work that hard. I studied almost the whole day at the same time maintaining my mental sharpness by light exercises. I could get a sensation that I was making mighty intellectual leaps.

As it happened I cleared Bansal, Resonance with Scholarship and Delhi with Scholarship. It was all happiness and I chose Resonance as it provided scholarship.


No comments:

Post a Comment